Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I could never be a chef.

Maybe i'm just quirky - but i have two very strong aversions to two particular food products.

Butter and raw meat.

The aversion: touching them - ever.

The butter one might sound really funny to some - but i think it was due to how we stored butter when i was growing up. We usually had it on the counter in a tupperware container. We only stored it in the fridge during the summer months. I remember when i would be asked to bring that container to the table for dinner - i would do everything i could to only use two fingers, one on each side. There would always be butter that had been wiped off by a knife that would find it's way just outside the lid area and make everything slippery and gross.

I also don't eat butter on anything outside of air popped popcorn and corn on the cob. If i put it on my toast - it's honestly the most minimal amount - you'd be surprised I even bother trying - cause buttering tiny amounts over an entire piece of bread is labourous.

I do not enjoy the feeling of butter on my fingers.


I also have an irrational aversion to touching raw meat - in particular beef and chicken.

I love eating meat. It is delicious and if I could, i would cook it every day (not trying to offend the vegetarians out there who don't eat meat cause it's cruel). I was raised on dinners of 'meats, potatoes, and vegetables'.

I used to cook recipes that required meat - make everything up until the meat was needed - wait for roomates to come home - have them plop in the meat - and then happily continue on my way.


Mom, dad, you would be proud of me.

sort of.

i cooked raw meat for the first time ever on Sunday. Although it hurt my insides to peel away that saran wrap on the packaged meat product - and i never physically connected my skin to the actual meat - it's a good first step. :)

so technically, i transfered forkfuls of ground beef to an awaiting frying pan.

and sadly, i'm slightly proud of myself. : (

sad, eh?

i couldn't have done it without moral support. so thank you. and funny enough i don't know how much further i could handle the meat. I really want to make hamburgers with my mom's recipe - but i haven't reached the point where i'm comfortable touching the meat, let alone smooching it up into balls and patties.

this is me. silly and sad. i keep myself entertained.

i wonder if i'll ever get over these aversions...

4 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger James17930 said...

I also don't eat butter, not because I don't like to touch it (that's just you being weird) but because margerine is better for you.

But, I needed some butter for something so I now have some in the fridge, and I have to finish it. So, here I come butter! Yum.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger alison said...

margerine is NOT better for you - because it is a mere one ingredient away from being plastic.

yuck much?

miss ya james. we need another pudding date.

wurd

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love getting my hands deep into ground meat. It reminds me of being little, playing with mud and play-doh.
Just close your eyes and take he plunge! It's fun... I promise.

You won't have to go through it alone, come to my place and we'll make something together.

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger James17930 said...

Margerine rules! And that one ingredient is, I would assume, gasoline.

So I'm not overally worried.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home