Tuesday, October 10, 2006

pet vulture...a moment of thanksgiving


there was something about the way she delicately ate her pie.

in this moment, I couldn’t help but admire my grandmother. It’s a moment I can’t quite put into words.

i did the only thing i could.

sit and appreciate my surroundings. my family.


Lost in a moment. I took in the idea of appreciating every bite. Of appreciating every moment you are given.


Home was nice. It was short. But it was nice.

An hour outside of North Bay, I grew desperately tired. So did my brother. Lucky for him, he wasn’t driving.

At home, we were greeted with open arms to my parents and my grandparents (on my mother’s side). It was lovely.

The conversation was constant. From every direction.

At night, my brother brought out a recording device he purchased in Toronto. It’s a small mixer of some sort.

Time flew as we played with the different settings. We laughed.

Then we all laughed when my mom’s laughter was captured by the microphone, and distorted by this one preset. It was creepy.

I remember all the smiles.

Thanksgiving was nice. Dinner was lovely as always, and despite falling sick, my mother played the lovely hostess to all of us.

For the first time in a long time, we took pictures. We had two digital cameras, my own and my parents’.

We heard all about New York. I look forward to visiting that city one day.

Being at home always plays with that nostalgic side of you. Sitting in my room at 3 in the morning, I examined every corner. Remembering.

My warped wooden door that barely closes anymore.
Playing the piano. Hearing the piano being played by others.
The coo-coo clock.
Lying down with my mom and spending one on one time.
My father.
Staircase antics. Climbing over the banister.
Lying at the top of the stairs in the most obstructive way – and talking with family.
My ballet shoes.
Listening to my brother’s recordings from his mixer. Envisioning an independent film that it would be a score to.
Eating at Webers.
Never failing to fall asleep on the couch with everyone around. Never wanting to go to bed until the very end. Never wanting to miss that last moment.
The pine tree in our front yard that is enormous. I remember when it was ¼ of the size.
Our pet cemetery.
The neighbours – and all their personalities.
My street.
West Ferris in general.
Driving down Booth.
Waking up on the couch at 2am, with the television on and the lights shining brightly. Knowing that your parents gave up on trying to get you to bed.


I looked through all my high school year books.


so much has changed…

to be that person I was 10 years ago and see the world again through those eyes – what did I ever think?



thanksgiving…

I have much to be thankful for.

For the last year that I have lived and the growth that I have experienced.

For my family. Through thick and thin, I love them. I miss them. Always, I pray for their happiness and safety.

For His strength and never failing love. For walking me through every second. For opening my eyes to what life really means.

For new friendships that have blessed me in ways I could never express. For old friendships that hold strong through the years.

For a relationship that surprises me more with every day. One that I never expected and still don’t understand how I deserve…

For employment that came after 8 months of unpaid work.

For the promise of tomorrow.

For home. For my community. For my moment.




I must say that I am very thankful with where I am with my life right now. I have been extremely blessed throughout this last year in particular. I stop and quite often ask myself what I’ve done to deserve any of this happiness.



thanksgiving…

a day where most people find a reason to reflect on their lives. To reflect on their last year. A reason to appreciate. It can be a very powerful moment or simply a brief thought passing through one’s head.

Knowing that people are making an extra effort to reflect upon certain parts of their lives… it’s a nice thought.




thanksgiving…

the drive home was longer…but not terrible considering traffic. The clown mask made an appearance, but was not as big of a hit as last year. I remember that one car who kept finding us on the busy highway a year ago.



they actually took a picture



After dropping off my brother, Shawna and I FINALLY went rollerblading – after several botched attempts over the last few weeks. There’s this park right near my place that I never knew about – at Leslie & Eglinton – with great trails.





It was great to be back out on rollerblades. It was really nice to catch up.



It was a gorgeous fall day.


At night, by the lake, the weather was still just as lovely. The company was delightful.





deep breath


I feel like there is so much in me that I want to write about. I hit a wall when it comes to this one part of my life…because I don’t know how much I can say.





thank you for the evening. I definitely appreciate your company.





i am thankful

for all of the smiles

1 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful for having a friend like you.

Anna.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home