Monday, August 07, 2006

something that only random days can bring.

Tonight. It's 6.18 in the morning, and I've been up for about 25.5 hours now. I can't go to sleep yet, cause I'm checking out an apartment at 10.00am and I definitely don't want to miss the appointment. So since I got home so late, I've opted to simply stay up and tough it out.

My back up still exists with my parents both giving me a call before they head out to work, just in case. :) Remember people, back up plans are VERY important.

Sunday was a very productive day. Cleaned up a bit more around the apartment. Did ALL my laundry. Ran a few errands. Did set up at church - which went really well considering it's the long weekend - and most people are not here over the long weekends. Had a strong worship service and David's sermon was great (Psalm 130). Rapid tear down...then a few of us set out on a very long night (almost 9 hours from start to finish) at the Drive in.

That's right people, we spent our evening chilling out at the Oakville 5 Drive In. If you've never been to a drive-in, I advise you make an attempt. It was not my first time, but I forgot how much fun it can be. We had many laughs. First of all it's important to remember when driving up Ford Drive, to have great patience, because it can take a LONG time simply getting in to pay your ticket.

To our surprise, tonight they were screening FOUR movies. Ugh. So many movies. We checked out the girliest of the screens. 1) The Devil Wears Prada (good movie), 2) John Tucker Must Die (stupid, yet sadly better than number 3), 3) My Super Ex-Girlfriend (had so much potential, but it really did just suck - although i still think part of throwing the shark through the bedroom window is funny), and lucky number 4) X-men 3: The Last Stand (or is it?).

We had primo parking too. Front row centre...seriously. We have no idea why people weren't parking where we camped out.

Mental note: it is key to bring lawn chairs. Among the three of us, we only had one - and that was forgotten at home by my amiga (silly Goose).

Best way to start out your experience at the Drive in - make a loud comment with your windows rolled down. Drive-ins carry with them a certain type of expectation (stereotypical) of 'couples' screening films. So my dear, will remain anonymous friend, made a lovely comment along the lines of 'great, they're probably going to make out beside us'. So, yeah, my window was rolled down, as was theirs...and we're pretty closely parked...so there isn't a doubt in my mind that they heard that one.

Does this happen to anyone else? When you laugh so much that you can't quite function anymore? Like your motor skills start to fade away. I could not for the life of me roll up my window fast enough after my friend made the comment.

My mind is not quite coherant at this time, it could be how tired I actually am. So I will just mention some smiles I pulled from the drive in...

1) Leaving the terrible bathrooms. The one closest to our screen was locked at one point and we had to treck all the way to screen number 1. But it was great cause we were able to catch snipits of what the other screens were playing.

2) The freedom that you carry when you have a portable wind up radio.

3) When you're sitting in your car and you look behind you when the movie is playing. It's so beautiful to see the multi colourful lights flickering over the rooftops of the cars.

4) Primo seats.


5) Travelling to see three films. Leaving having seen four.

6) Entertaining classic drive in commercials.

7) The atmosphere of the entire drive in experience.


Driving into the city around 5.00am this morning. It's funny, cause David was just talking about this in his sermon - about the transition between a night's sky to the sunrise. And I was up and able to enjoy that quiet moment.

I'm so sleepy. I'm praying that if/when I do fall asleep, I'll be able to wake up in time. I really am praying for this apartment to work out.

The strange thing is that when I got home tonight - there wasn't a single bug in the apartment. It makes me not want to move...it really is a cute place that works perfect for me. *sigh*

ps. We discovered that a great deal of the mutants from X3 had really sucky mutant powers. I mean, like the guy with the big white wings. Yes, it would be cool to fly, but his use in the film was kind of lame. And then there was porcupine boy. Meh. If you were a mutant, what would your mutant power be?

I just hope it's a cool mutant power...

1 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the last time I was at the drive-in was a triple-bill of Ghostbusters, Inner Space and one of the Superman movies.

So how long ago was that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home