Thursday, July 13, 2006

T.

The good ol' T-dot.
Toronto - pronounced TOH - RON - TOH (not torono - as pointed out to me from our dear friend Brian Muriuki from Kenya).

APOLOGIES - for some reason the inital image will not upload anymore. It was the night clouds photo from from www.topleftpixel.com - taken on June 15th, 2006. Check this guy's site out - he has some pretty amazing photography. If I can, I will upload it soon enough. :)

TODAY, I found myself appreciating the city a great deal. Last night it hit me how close I am to travelling. I have no ties at the moment holding me back - and so my head is spinning with excitement. The joy of the travel, and the happiness of landing back in Canada (Vancouver God willing) and establishing myself. A contradiction that brews inside of me between the love of the travel, and the desire to establish my career, and eventually a family. Both make me smile. Positive outlooks make the decisions easier.

It was the type of night where you wanted to just walk around the brightly lit downtown core and appreciate the beauty of its architecture. Downtown cores always hold a different feel than other parts of the city.

Toronto truly is a wonderful city, that might not easily be topped by many others. The main reason is the multi-culturalism. Sue & Tom pointed out in living room how this city differs than others - when we spoke about a documentary that might surround the idea of protecting this North American ideal of freedom vs falling into terrorist activities. Here we are, all different - various backgrounds both culturally and religiously, and we all work together, eat together, live together and barely notice it. We co-exist in a very unique way that many cities are not willing to support.

Yes, we certainly have our problems (what metropolis doesn't?) - but there is a certain beauty with this city that is unique in regards to its people.

Think of all the little pockets around the main part of the city. Little portugal, little italy, greektown, both chinatowns - it's so quaint. Yet, anyone can and does live there. It's wonderful.

Today i was driving around and as much as i could have cursed out some VERY terrible drivers, i made it to a red light and smiled. I love this city. It's a challenge to my driving - so i'm always on my toes and I enjoy that. (seeing the good through the ugly) I haven't driven in Vancouver yet, but from being a pedestrian there for a week, i know that I will desperately miss this city once I start driving out there (they are TERRIBLE drivers - maniacs who freak out and do the wrong thing all the time - pedestrians beware).

There is just something beautiful about this city's life. It's not a lifestyle for everyone - and I still prefer mountains to the look of Toronto. None the less, I will always love driving to the St. Clair Reservoir and enjoying the beautiful night sky. I will always love lying down on the upper level of the exterior of City Hall looking at the downtown core. I will always love the random parkettes and preserved parks that we are very fortunate to have to enjoy. I will always love the harbourfront for all its decrepid areas as well as the remodeled boardwalk.

I feel fortunate to have grown up in Canada. Moving from a small town to a small city to this place I now call home.

Seven months and counting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home