Monday, July 10, 2006

So bad Mondays...



A classic Monday. One that really expresses why people (in general) don’t like Mondays.

Today was one of those days that makes you feel that every Monday must be out to get you. I was on one run this morning that took TWO hours. I was behind three different car accidents. Maybe it was due to the extremely poor visibility (due to the intermediate heavy downpours) – but that can only really explain one (if any) of the accidents. The other two occurred when it was barely drizzling. I believe they were driven by plain lapses in judgment. The worst one saw a minivan jackknife on the QEW and struck by another vehicle. Everyone got out injury free (thank goodness). Usually when you are at a dead stop on a highway like that, it’s not a good sign – but today, everyone walked away.

Something was wrong with me at work. I felt behind all day. And it seems funny to say that when I don’t really have that much responsibility. None the less, it felt like there was always something else to do and all of a sudden it was five o’clock and the prep schedule wasn’t out yet, and the key people were in meetings and ugh ugh ugh. Everything always works out in the end…but I still had that feeling of being 10 steps too late all day.

Today was our first day of production. It went well…and if this is how the rest of the show is to be, I have been blessed to be a part of this production. We were wrapped by 6.40pm. Julie and I were out by 7.15pm. Beautiful. Our call time was 10am – so we’re talking about 9-10 hour days. I have NEVER been on a show like this in my life. Being my last summer in the city, this is a great way to spend it. : )

It rained today. A lot. It thundered and lightninged. Being on the phone at one point was scary cause we had like a white pop around the building and we thought lighting hit the school…which could go through the phone lines (I’ve heard about this happening to people before – very scary). Thank goodness for portable phones – who save you by not being grounded by a cable – yet are prone to being useless during a power outage. (sad)

I love watching thunderstorms. Sadly the windows in the office are all dingy – covered in some sort of matting product.


Smiling through the dimly lit skies:

1) dining on a rooftop patio Saturday.
2) a long walk through the city
3) watching the gorgeous stormy sky pass by our building as other crew and myself watched some clouds dipping down towards the city (the sky was beautiful – the fact that it looked as though a tornado could form was kind of creepy)
4) Quiet time with God. Understanding that He listens to your prayers, but doesn’t always answer them in the most direct fashion. Learning to smile through this challenge.
5) An amazing sermon on Sunday (thank you David).




With so much time in the car this morning, today became a reflective day. I shut off the music and spent time listening to the tinny pangs of rain drops on the roof of this hollow beigey gold cobalt I now call my wheels o’ freedom. Even on my drive home, I took the long way, ensuring I could drive up the Bayview extension and just enjoy the road for a while. Thinking.

I love driving. I don’t know why. When I was a child, I loved my bike. It was an escape from my world, from my moment. No matter how bad anything could become, I always had that escape. Learning how to drive opened a new door to a new escape – a bigger road than I could ever bike (especially now with my knees). I feel at peace on the road. You have the option of muting the world inside and just being there, or spending the time thinking on your own, or even blasting the most wonderful music of the moment and singing along to it as loud as you want. You can carry friends with you and share on your adventures. You can move yourself. You can explore places you can’t reach any other way.

All you have to do is use a simple metal key to shift a machine into the letter “D” and end up across the country. What an amazing combination of inventions.

Yay to the car.

"I'm leaving on a jet plane. I don't know when I'll be back again." is playing in my head right now. Delightful and almost lullabyesque at this late hour.

Should I have left 3 years ago?

A hiccup in my career is postponing my travels. I do not wish to make my life in this city – even though I love the city most of the time. That being said, moving up in the industry is difficult when you choose not to unionize yourself or choose to plant your roots here. I could try to get involved in more extensive productions, but then I would not be able to leave. I always want to see projects through to the end – and this feeling is stopping me from furthering my career. Does that make sense?

It does to me – and I guess that’s all that matters. : )

My brother got his stitches out today. About two Thursdays ago I got this phone call from my brother. “Hey, what hospital are we going to tonight to visit Finn?” “The one at Dundas and Bathurst, I think it’s Toronto Western General”. “Oh, that’s funny, I was just there today!” “You went to see him without me?” “No, I got 15 stitches today”. At this moment I pause – cause I come from a very sarcastic family – so this could go either way. “what do you mean you got 15 stitches? Where?” “On my head, I did something stupid”. Anyway – it’s a long story. All I have to say is new apartment, smaller than average doors, running – not a good combination.

But all is well – his head, I guess, is healed. I would hope so, since they removed the stitches. He waited 4 hours to have them put in, and only 2 hours to have them removed. What’s wrong with this picture?

Bright blue stitches no more. He is lucky they didn’t shave his beautiful curly hair. His roommate thought it was a joke at first – that he put fake blood around the apartment.

...

Sadly, it was no joke. And what a terrible joke that would be…

My mind is numb. I have to go figure out about buying a GIC.

Off and away.
Have a splendid day.

Good Bye.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home