Sunday, January 14, 2007

Here's what not to do...

Catch a piece of broken glass that's falling.


So last night, our skating plans went into hiatus because I'm an idiot.

Talking on the phone with Goose, making dinner and deciding that I was thirsty - not the greatest of combinations for multi-tasking aparently. I had just finished making perogies. I was hungry. I was about an hour away from heading out the door to spend the night skating and watching a movie. I was thirsty. With the phone to my ear with one hand, I reached up to the cupboard to pick up one of my favorite big beer glasses from Ikea, when something catches my eye. Completely distracted, the glass started to slip. When I went to stop it, it hit one of the shelves and began the process of shattering. Sadly, I ended up putting my hand underneath the downfall of glass to try and prevent the breaking. Luckily, I caught one of the larger broken pieces with my finger.

Caught as in the thick glass was lodged into my poor joint.

Ew?

I let it go and pulled my hand back right away, and that piece continued to fall and shatter some more. Cause at that point, the kitchen wasn't enough of a glass landmine site.

Still on the phone, but holding a flap of my skin down, not really wanting to see how deep the cut was - i ran into the bathroom. Dripping blood but not wanting to turn on the tap - cause I just washed the stupid sink. And also not really wanting to pull away any pressure from my finger or even welcome the idea of feeling any pain.

"Hey Kim, can you do me a huge favor please?"

Poor Kimberley had to come and save the day by turning on the cold water and aiding me in trying to stop the bleeding.

Thank goodness my mother is a nurse, and sent me to University with a healthy first aid kit.

Relentless. A nice deep cut right on my stinkin' joint. The bleeding didn't stop for about an hour and a half. When i thought there was hope, I would take a look at it and everything would seem fine, and then the fine layer of red liquid would start again.

Dang it.

I was afraid of bending my finger.

On mother's advice - i went to the hospital. Especially cause I couldn't get the bleeding to stop. I felt stupid. Really stupid.

By the time I actually saw a doctor - somewhere between 8.30pm-8.45pm (the broken glass charade happened at 5.00pm or 5.01pm) - the bleeding had subsided.

I averted the lovely idea of stiches. Replaced by medical glue and a band-aid.

I am such a nerd. All of that for medical glue and a band-aid.

I am very lucky. I didn't sever my tendon.

By this morning - I think the glue disappeared into the hospital band-aid. I was supposed to keep it undisturbed for 48 hours. And fresh blood. Which concerned me a bit just cause i didn't want it to keep going.

It hurts - but it's honestly nothing compared to what it could have been if all those glass pieces had fallen into the palms of my hand. Ew ew ew.

You know you are loved when your boyfriend spends a Saturday night in the hospital ER with you smiling, laughing and playing Q20 and just hanging out. Thank you. I still am sorry that we didn't get to go skating last night.


Next weekend.

That my friends, is how I spent my weekend.

Oh - and a word of advice - which I learned as a young child. When you see broken glass, the broken edges may look very smooth and entice you to want to feel how smooth they might be. But don't. Cause I learned the hard way - that you get glass slivers and cuts that way.
So I now know NOT to touch what appears to be smooth glass - nor try to hinder the law of physics when it involves broken glass shards.
Right.

Although - most of you probably knew that already.


Yeah, well, i was like 8. And probably needed to experience it hands on.

okay then.

have a good sunday.

2 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

DUDE!!! I didn't even know you had a blog. I hope that finger is healing alright. See you soon, buddy*

k

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger megarrah said...

haha oh man... glass is tricky stuff. i've been lucky to escape its slicing powers many times.

i hope your finger is feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home