Saturday, November 25, 2006

the long way home


Billowing fog


It’s that eerie fog. It rolled in around 7am this morning. We were five minutes away from Pearson, when we hit it like a wall. Since then, it has enveloped the city.

There is something beautiful about the eeriness that comes with this fog.

It’s Saturday morning.

5am. I loved waking up early this morning. It was so quiet. It was so beautiful. The city can be lovely when it is still.

I’m working. Yet, I’m at home, back in my pj pants and typing on my blog. I’m between my two airport runs. Not a bad day’s work at all. And today will be the only Saturday that I have to work – as our lovely PM has asked that all actors be driven by car service from now on. Which is great – cause now I have full weekends.

Something that is much needed after working a week with these hours. This week was long. It wouldn’t be terrible if I was on set – but working the equivalent hours in a production office can become daunting. I’ve been thinking a lot about the film industry and where I stand within it. With the application date approaching for the union, job offers that shift constantly and just trying to figure out if I’m crazy to want to work in this industry, knowing how little of a life you can carry while you are in production…my mind has been racing through scenarios. Mind you I think this happens to every single person who works in the industry – you don’t understand why you do it, but you keep doing it.

Then on my way to set last night to drop something off to our second AD, I see our package truck roll by, and I sighed. I love film. There is something very wonderful about the industry that I am attracted to. When I drive by a film set, I get excited. I’m a film nerd. I have a passion to make films and work within this ever changing industry.

When I get back from traveling, I really do want to focus on producing – so I’m hoping there’ll be an opportunity to work through this next phase of my life. I have options and I’m excited about it. This is what I want to do – so I’m going to pour my heart into it.

As always.

I’m a dreamer. A determined one. (aren’t we all?)


So – a crane moved in last weekend. I woke up Sunday morning and finally clued into some strange noises that I was hearing. I couldn’t figure out why the construction team was working on the site just outside our apartment. It’s Sunday morning!?! I peak out my window and spot this dude doing final adjustments on a plate on the ground. NO WAY.

I’ve lost my beautiful sunrise view – well, it’s still there, except now I have a lovely crane operator to share it with. Bonus – this crane’s closer than the other two – so I’m hoping I can actually get to talking to him with hand signals. :o)


Last week, I went into the Upper Crust bakery to grab our crew some goodies for their Tech Survey. This is a cute little place near Queen & Pape. I used to go there all the time on my Wild Card days to pick up the morning craft run. I was excited to see the woman who owned the place – cause it’s been just over two years since I last saw her. Right away – she recognized me and was so excited – she didn’t want to let me leave. She had so many questions for me. And it was nice. I keep bumping into all these people that I only ever carried brief moments with – but who I remember and who remember me. And just realizing the impact that you can have on someone’s life just by smiling and saying hello every day – people remember. It’s encouraging.


I made gingerbread cookies last night. Thursday night I was up until 2am making the dough. And last night I baked, as I caught up with my roommates on how they’ve been (cause I really haven’t seen them too much lately because of my work hours). Late night. Early morning. I woke up to the smell of gingerbread through my room – which was very lovely and a nice change to the cigarette smoke that billows into our apartment from the adjacent apartments. Yuck. I woke up one morning and thought there was someone in my room smoking it was so strong.

Time for sale. If you have some spare time that you don’t feel like putting to good use – I’ll buy it off of you. For real. I’ve been advised that I simply need to find time in my day to do the things that need to get done. Which sounds logical – except when you leave your house at 7am and don’t get home until 11pm or later. This is why I was up until 2am making dough – cause I was determined to do my work out, shower, then bake. This is all well and good for now – but as I get older, might not be the best idea. So, I’m going to start buying time and eventually I’ll have this time bank and I can dip into it whenever I’m in desperate need.

I’m sorry – I’m not complaining. It was just a hard week these last few days. Next week will be so much better cause we’ll be staggering the shifts (thank goodness – it was not my call to not stagger this week).


Last weekend was a time for catching up. Was on the phone with old friends and co-workers who I miss dearly…and then a date.

Last weekend was fun – Anna, a lovely little spirit who I met on Naturally Sadie, her husband David, Brent and myself all went on a double date. My first ever double date. It was lovely. Dinner at Marlowe followed by a two hour attempt at ten pin bowling.

That’s right – attempt. Although Anna and I brought the mad skills to the alley.

: p

Or not. I was very proud of my one strike and one spare through the three games. The boys were competing for the high score of the group – and they actually tied between game one and two before David stepped into first. It was that gosh darn #15 ball.

It was a lot of fun. I promise to have a photoblog about it – once I finally get my pics up to Flikr. (sorry for the delay Anna)


I actually had a great weekend. I felt spoiled all weekend – cause I was able to spend a lot of time with friends.

Friday night Midnight (more like 2am) screening of Amityville Horror with my friend Jason and Brent.

Saturday night’s double date.

Sunday morning brunch date at the Sunset Grill in the Beaches with Brent. Church. Dinner at Montana’s with Shawna, Esther and Brent – which was a farewell to Shawna as she stepped onto a plane for NZ the very next day (so lucky!!!).

That’s three meals in a row eaten at restaurants from Saturday to Sunday – not something I ever do. Especially on the weekends – cause I love to cook… especially after spending a week eating catering food.

There is much else to say. There always is.

I’m happy right now. There is always a reason to not be happy I suppose – but I choose not to look at that right now. I was so blah all week long. I was so discouraged – until a conversation I had with our lovely 2nd AD on set one day. Being reassured that you are not alone dealing with a situation is always helpful – encouraging. I don't like how work can affect you so much.

I really am looking forward to this film being done. I just want space from the negative energy that my coworker puts out. I wish I could show more compassion – and I do try during the week – but knowing how much it has been affecting my mood and spirit – I just want space. At the same time, I do hope that I can have a positive impact on her in some way from the time I spend trying to sway her negative outlook on everything.

There is so much light in life – and it is so beautiful – why focus on the shadows? Why highlight the shadows?


I am blessed.

So blessed.

It’s like yuck.


I’m going to head out for airport pick up number two – then off to do my errands. Tonight – Esther’s fundraiser for her mission’s trip to Costa Rica. ie: destination for fleet of gingerbread cookies.

It's the weekend - recovery mode is about to set in. Wish me luck as i finish my application for the union. And somehow try to find time to sleep in tomorrow.

hahaha

PS - A side note. An ode to snail mail. the joy of which brings you - Buffalo Bills tickets. A lovely present in the mail this week. *eep* one week away from that tail gate partying road trip. i'm sooooo excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home