Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Random blog – welcome to the tangents that I create

Sunday, May 14th, 2006

Allergies. I was walking by this guy cutting grass the other day and thought about how happy I was that I could appreciate the smell of grass – some people simply can’t. Their allergies drive them wild, and to enjoy simple things, like smelling flowers, they grow a need to pop a Reactin. I think those without allergies sometimes take for granted what they can appreciate. It’s like with anything in life, the moment something in your life is challenged or complicated, you start to truly focus on your ability to appreciate it. You get sick, and suddenly you really miss smelling/tasting your food. Your vision starts to go, and you have a renewed appreciation for eyesight. I’m not saying that I don’t appreciate my health on a normal day, but when I do feel under the weather – I find myself appreciating my normal healthy demeanour much more, and realize that I take it for granted. Maybe it’s just me. “You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone” rings true on many levels – including the simplest things in life. I can’t imagine the spring time without being able to enjoy the smell of the changing of the seasons. And I thank God that I’m able to appreciate this.

I am applying for a job tomorrow morning for the Toronto International Film Festival – as a Publicity Materials Coordinator. I have strong references, and now I pray that I make it to the interview status. Jobs in the production field are slim pickings right now. Resume is out there once again. The features/television programs are fully crewed right now, so I have to wait for the next batch to come through for the summer productions. There is another job prospect for a commercial company, but the job is still in the development stages. I think this job with the TIFF would be a great new challenge where I could apply my skills on a completely different level. I hope that this one works out – it would run until mid-October.

I am thinking about joining the church’s softball team this summer. After putting up a post asking if anyone would like to train with me, I have finally received some feedback, and it looks like I’ll have some people to toss a ball around with to get ready for the season. This is the first time in a very long time that I have been able to offer my time to a team sport like this. It should be great fun. Let’s pray that we make the cut!

Tonight is the finale for Survivor. I remember when season one came out – I saw a commercial and my mom and I thought it would be like this French show we used to watch called ‘Fort Broyard’ where contestants went through challenges and in the end they were in a room full of gold coins and they had to collect as much as they could within a certain time limit AND make it out of the room before the lions were released. So I was surprised when we saw the first season and it was a television series. I am not an avid fan of survivor. However, since being on the film pulled me away from consistent Amazing Race watching, I was able to wrap my head around this show. Anyway, it wasn’t a good season, and the winner didn’t deserve it really – strong competitor, but I wasn’t rooting for him. Oh well.

My dysfunctional pants. So I went shopping with magali last week and bought these jeans. I tried them on, they looked great, and looked at the tag and noticed that it had an extra 20% off due to damage. I was like, strange – I don’t see anything wrong with these pants. So I talked to this one girl and she explained how the seem wasn’t sewn right and it was on a slight slant. I was like, who cares? I can’t even notice it. So last Wednesday I’m wearing the pants and I start walking to catch the subway. Hmmm, these pants are acting really strange. Oh my goodness, now I understand the dysfunction in the pants. The seem on the right leg is so slanted, that after you spend time walking, the seem eventually finds a way to twist until it is going down the front of your leg. I can’t really explain it. But I’ve been thinking about this – should it bother me? Should I really care if the seem isn’t 100% on the side of my leg. Not normally, if the other leg’s seem did the same thing. All this to say that my pants are acting kind of strange, and I’m going to have to get peoples opinions when they see me in the pants next. Ho hum.

The bikini. Bathing suit season is probably a very bad time of year for most women. Every single woman has some sort of self image concern. Period. And this makes for a difficult shopping season. Yuck. I myself will not be the first girl on the beach to take off my clothes and prance around in my bathing suit. And yet I find myself wanting to expand my bikini collection. Why is that, if I have no great plan to be seen in them in large crowds? What is the fascination with the purchase? I found this adorable bikini bottom last week – but the tops were all sold out – and I was very much tempted to purchase it – but what for? Am I really going to wear it? It made me realize that I think we all need to become better consumers. I think a large portion of shoppers purchase things, at least one item, that they never end up actually using in their life span. A cute gadget or clothing accessory – why do we do this to ourselves? Anyway, it’s May and it’s too late to ‘work up to our bathing suit bodies’ – but I’m none the less continuously tempted to buy the infamous “Lateral Thigh Trainer”. I’ve also been thinking about swimming a lot lately – which probably explains the bathing suit shopping inspiration. I miss swimming. You don’t really swim in Toronto – cause the water is really unhealthy. It’s unfortunate. You could always swim off the island towards the larger part of Lake Ontario. It’s a start, and for some reason I would trust that water more than from the shores of the actual city.

I skipped for 10 minutes the other day. It’s actually quite ridiculous – I have no where to skip. I go up my landlord’s driveway and skip between the two houses. I wish I had a backyard to skip in. Also, if you don’t go out early in the morning, you honestly have a steady flow of people traffic staring at you – which is just strange when you’re skipping between two houses. I think I’m worrying too much about what other people are thinking about me. Anyway, my knee started to hurt which just ticked me off. Is there anything I can do physically that doesn’t hurt my knees? I should really start my physiotherapy soon. *sigh*

My favourite candy. I was thinking about sweedish fish today – my parents brought me back a box from their trip to Las Vegas. The 1cent candy version are my FAVORITE candy – sadly, they don’t really exist anymore. Sad. : ( They do have the 5cent version, but they aren’t the same. I think I’ve reached the point where I need to accept this annihilation of the 1cent candy generation. I need to shift my cravings to a ‘richer’ candy.

Someone was asking for the ‘puss in boots’ fairy tale – and it reminded me that I played the cat in that fairy tail in my 1st or 2nd grade. For some odd reason we were all divided into groups of three to re-enact a fairy tale and my group did so well, we had to go around to all the other classes and show the fairy tale (jr k to grade 8)

A Salute to Mothers. Today is Mother’s day. Yay to all you moms out there. I love you mom. : )

My commercial worthy cookie. I made cookies today. I was craving like one cookie, and decided to make a whole batch. Probably the most dangerous thing you can do when you live alone is make an entire BATCH of cookies. They were Pecan Chip Cookies. Now, the first batch that came out suffered some casualties. I accidentally hit a chair with my hand (holding the cookie tray) after pulling them out of the oven, and two of them hit the floor and died. It was sad. However, the others survived the impact. Actually, one of them made me wish I had a camera. It was this perfectly round cookie – I was amazed. There would not be another round cookie like that. I was so proud of that cookie, thinking about if I was shooting a cookie commercial right now – the women doing the baking in the background, THOSE women would spare that perfect cookie and put it into one of the takes of the commercial. Then I thought to myself, what if the cookie isn’t supposed to be round and it was actually the example of imperfection. Its fate is the same none the less – it will eventually be eaten. Poor cookie. They are quite delicious though.

Where is waldo? I have the NES game version of this game. It’s actually hilarious – and I should challenge someone to it one day. The graphics are very poor (old school Nintendo) so you can barely tell who anyone is – which actually increases the difficulty in the game. I just want to say that Waldo was a great book series – and I was thinking about them today when I was cleaning out my apartment. I had all the books growing up and had hours of fun trying to find him on every page. Terrible. The game really is funny though. I have absolute love for classic atari and old school Nintendo graphics - very unique look. : )

My hobbit name is: Orangeblossom Burrows
My elven name is: Celebriän Sàralondë
Visit http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/ if you wish to find out yours. : )



I AM ALL CAUGHT UP!!!

I’m finally all caught up in my blogging. So it will look like I blogged a wallop today.

This is my downfall with journals. If I lose touch/fall behind, I feel that I can’t move forward without providing a recap on previous events. I like talking about things in detail (another downfall to journal entries with me). This is usually where my journaling falls behind – I usually give up at this point. I’m one who writes life moments in short form and it’s enough to joggle my memory so that I can recall the entire event. However, it’s not enough when you are telling a story to another individual. So I’m all caught up with the most lengthy blogs in history. Hats off to you if you get through even just one of them. : )

Today is Tuesday, May 16th – and it’s mad raining outside. So I’m all cozy up inside ‘spring cleaning’ my life. Sorting through the apartment and trying to get rid of things. And now, am happily caught up (mostly) on my blogs.

I think my motivation is coming back - and that makes me smile. : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home