Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Blue Crush and odd fridgeisms

I watched Blue Crush the other day and have been mentally catapulted into the world of surfing. I first saw the movie at a sneak peak screening way back in the day. It's not a bad movie, and as a girl, when the credits start to roll, it does make you feel really good and capable of taking on some pretty big challenges. : )

Grouped with all my dreams about swimming, i'm convinced I'll learn how to surf in the near future. You have to understand that I'm not exactly sure if I can swim. I took lessons when i was in grade 3, sadly failed my Yellow class because i didn't want to open my eyes in chlorine. My parents made me go back and I did pass the class the second time - luckily. They do this one test where they hold a coloured item under the water and you need to say what colour it was. So, this time around i did open my eyes, but i couldn't see anything of colour - just my instructor and the water. So I guessed the colour. My instructor challenged if i just guessed, and i was like "no?". What a stupid reason to fail a swimming class anyway.

I quit after that year, because I just felt that I was going to fail for the wrong reasons. Eventually, in high school, I went to the YMCA and got private lessons to learn how to swim. That was, at the time, money down the drain. My instructor was more interested in talking to her coworkers then helping me. Ugh. What I did learn how to do were breathing techniques as well as swimming strokes. I quit the private lessons and simply got a membership and swam every other day for hours. I tried to teach myself how to tread water - which is the ONLY reason i don't think i can swim - I don't know if I can truly tread in deep waters. I took two flutter boards to hold me up and then tried to do the foot techniques - very awkward with flutter boards. But with no one around, i didn't really want to remove the flutter boards (the lifeguards that were 'working' were kind of in this glass room that didn't connect directly to the pool area - they were never really in the pool lifeguard area). So I taught myself how to get from every floating position (front/back/variations) to every swimming stroke that I know. So at that point in my life, I felt that if I fell into deep waters, all i would have to do would be get into a ball to create boyancy, float to the top and then transition into one of the many swimming strokes I had learned.

Anyway. I need to get back into the water to practise. I love water - i'm the one person who never wants to leave it - and the one person who probably can swim the least. When i was with a friend of mine swimming in his pool one morning, he challenged me to go into the deep end and tread water - and it worked!!! That was the first time I ever successfully treaded water and was also the last time I was able to go swimming - so I left on a high note, thinking good about my technique.

I keep dreaming about swimming. I love those dreams. I'm in the water, I'm enjoying my new found abilities - I never really want that to end. It's that time of year where you want to just be in the water wakeboarding, tubing, skiing...

After watching the movie, I had this terrible urge to learn how to surf. I love snowboarding - and i'm not saying that surfing is exactly like that (it's closer to skateboarding i think in terms of technique) but i feel that I would take to surfing very quickly. I just need to sharpen my swimming techniques - cause that undertoe is intense!

As I travel the world, I plan on hitting some surfing hot spots. And despite my fear of shark infested waters, I think I might just brave looking like a seal on a board.


Fridgeisms. I went to my fridge the other day to grab an apple. Closed the door and started to walk away. Came back because something caught my eye. My pillsbury dough boy croissant rolls EXPLODED out of their container. : ( Sad. They were dried out and no good. I have no explanation for this incident. I am wondering if i will ever purchase Pillsbury items again.

Strange days.

1 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger alison said...

I would love that! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home