Saturday, April 14, 2007

excerpts of me

Part I - a group of unrelated blog clips that I never managed to post online.

First and foremost - I owe Anna a blog. Ode to my Anna. Whose relentless love got me a job in the midst of unemployment and who never ceases to make each work day highly entertaining. We had a date last week - and it was fabulous. We went to a friend's film screening, we caught up with a long lost friend (Shannon), I kidnapped Anna to do a drop off in Mississauga, we had dinner - well, I ate my dinner, Anna was too busy dumping it all over herself. Then we drove home in the beginnings of the winter storm that hit Toronto last week. :p All that to say - I need to make a blog like dedication to this woman.


Watch "Dancer in the Dark"


I found old movie stubs. Two of which are of interest to me - on an entertaining side.
i) Little Miss Sunshine - September 2nd, 2006 at 7:00pm
ii) The Host - TIFF - September 8th, 2006 at 11:59pm

The first was a film that Brent and I saw together after he and three other lovely friends (Anna, David and Elaine) helped me move to my current abode. After dealing with a rice incident in the production van I had borrowed, Brent and I decided to go watch a movie. I must admit, that at this point in time, I did in fact have a crush on the poor boy. BUT - he ALSO had a crush on me. This was the first 'non-date' date we had. :)

The second was of a film I saw at the Film Festival. Sadly, I must admit, that I tricked Brent into attending this film with me. I had ordered two tix to see the film. Originally, my brother was going to attend with me (more so cause i can't stand the idea of seeing a midnight madness film alone). I then told my brother (who was indifferent to seeing the film) that I might try to ask the 'boy' to go to this film with me - and that I might fake out with a 'my brother can't make it' scenario. The story played out, and because Softball was cancelled that night, Brent was suddenly 'available'. End of story - it worked, and it was our second 'non-date' date. :)

I have no more 'non-dates' to report - but just to end the story -- the following weekend, four of us went to Tobermory - and in the early hours of Sunday, September 17th all hidden truths were revealed. Funny. The worst part to this story is that talking to someone in the middle of the night - with nothing but 'moonlight' around, is easy. Waking up in the morning and having to sit in a car with said person for four hours in bright sunlight = a whole new challenge to facing one's said feelings.

Last september - a group of UofT frosh were leap frogging across the street in front of our van. Harley and I were driving my new bed (acquired from Naturally, Sadie) to my apartment.

Have you ever seen the optical illusion of the colour castle??? (http://www.johnsadowski.com/big_spanish_castle.php)

2006 was the year of the monarch butterfly - and they literally were all over the place.

The night before (July 1/06) I went skydiving with my dad, I spent a great deal of time with my parents at the Delta Chelsea where they were staying. I kept re-enacting being forced out of a plane and kept flopping onto their bed on my stomach. It was my test jumping time. That night, i watched videos online - I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

At the end of "Naturally, Sadie", I spent a whole Friday collecting as many high-fives as I could from the crew. I can't remember anymore what i got up to - but it was an impressive number.

Terry coloured her hair blue by accident. A blue pen is to blame. The challenge lies in hiding it in blond hair.

One thursday evening, I drove home admiring a beautiful full moon. The following Friday morning, I woke up to spend just as much time driving in to work staring at the same goldenly lit moon.

Before I found out there was a trick to my apartment building's garage door keyhole, I would struggle forever trying to get the dang thing to open. On the plus side, I met a lot of people who lived in my building who would help me get into the darn garage. Eventually, my 7th floor neighbour revealed the magic behind the key.

If you go to the Toronto Film Festival - the the Elgin theatre's VISA Screening room - be prepared for CREDIT CARD DISCRIMINATION. My brother and I were near the front of the line for "Stranger than Fiction" - and just because neither of us hold a VISA card, we were at a loss. Everyone got in front of us because they were considered VIPs. But don't be fooled - you are only a true VIP with the GOLD VISA. FYI.

One time when my parents were in Toronto for a weekend away - my mom and brother went to see the Blue Man Group and my father and I went to see Lord of the Rings (theatre). I really appreciated the time I had with my dad prior to the show - we were able to walk around downtown Toronto and talked about our family. I learned a lot of things - and it was just a wonderful moment. :)

During the summer a friend once told me that screaming at the top of your lungs in your car can make you feel a lot better. I tried it - and it didn't help at all. Actually, it made me feel silly. And then i just smiled - cause God was being ridiculously silly this summer. But from this, I grew to truly appreciate all that He is for me. A surreal appreciation. But I do remember that night - I think it was the last time i banged my head against the steering wheel after softball. Funny.

Sometimes I feel like I'm trapped in a box. Sometimes, when I'm driving, and it feels like all the cars around me are going the same speed as me, and I can't move - I wonder if this is a physical manifestation of my emotional state. Sometimes, when you can't quite express your true emotions - you feel trapped - and all you can do is cry.

There are two feelings in the world that I despise. Being chased (it really just freaks me right out) and being bound and tied up. I can't say that i've ever been tied up, but the idea of being kidnapped and tied up and being rendered completely helpless is a fear that I have.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Blogger Gypsy In My Soul said...

Both these feeling have to do with not being in control. I too share similar anxieties. Thanks for my blog dedication Ms.Ali B. Hope you night went well and you didn't have to stay later than usual at work. I loved our moive night date... but sadly did leave raher hungry :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home