Monday, February 13, 2006

no knee surgery for me. yet.

I finally met with my sports medicine doctor tonight (post MRIs). So, on the phone, the message that was left to me was that there was only a tear in my left knee. Of course, when I got there, the story had changed. The good news however is that I have averted knee surgery yet again. :)

My left knee has a cyst in a crevise that irritates some of the muscles and tendons. I can't recall all of the medical terminology. Nothing serious - but therapy is necessary. My right knee has cartilidge damage (after all these years, the truth finally comes out). Pretty bad on the knee cap, not too much yet on the opposing bone where the joint moves (where it rubs - you medical/physio students must be cringing at my lack of terminology). I have very flexible quads, yet my hamstrings are not. Apparently, this is strange. My feet need orthotics, but seriously, we probably all need them to some degree. My hips - still the same old story - hyper flexible = problems.

This clinic is sooooo expensive, so I never went to get my physio yet. They have recently introduced an 'essentials' therapy where you go in, learn the exercices and then do most of it at home - and this is only 20$/session. Now I can afford physio. :)

The best news, is now I will start taking glucosamine pills to help my right knee's joint problems and also I will finally be fitted for a proper knee brace on that knee. :) This will make such a difference. Sadly, I think the doctor is pretty sure I will not be running again (not a good idea for my knees), but kick boxing might be in my future. Also, with this physio, i might actually be able to ride a bike again without pain.

Good day. Short note. So unlike me to write so little. Blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home