Sunday, December 16, 2007

A new meaning to Winter Wonderland

You know what a good part of winter is - the way it brings neighbours together.

Not so much on the roads...cause man, I have seen a LOT of stupid people do REALLY dangerous things in the last two days (and they wonder why there are so many ridiculous fender benders in the winter).

Brent and I set out to go to Brunch today - as reserved on Tuesday. We laughed when we got to my car - cause it was burried and the street was covered by 1.5-2 feet of snow. I still went ahead and cleared off my car. We sat in it for a moment. I actually tried to drive straight. Laughed - cause that car is a piece of poo when it comes to snow...and then just shut it off and made pancakes instead.

After breakfast, we decided to walk to Yonge & Eglinton - so I could go shopping and he could catch the bus back home. And the walk was really fun.

Trudging through the snow and just stopping to talk to the people in the neighbourhood. It was really nice - and despite the amount of snow and amount of shovelling required, everyone was in good spirits. We even tried to free a car that was trapped on the side roads.

Everyone was friendly. It's not always the case with this city, so to me, this weather brought out a lot of smiles - and it was really nice.

Walking home from the mall, I took to the street, as the sidewalk on this one road was completely burried by a snow plow's work. I had to keep watching my back in case a car was coming. At the top of this one hill, there was a man who had just cleaned off his car, and he was just standing there staring in my direction. As I got closer, I could see how discouraged he looked (probably tired from uncovering his car). I noticed his wheels were completely burried by the plows that had probably passed 2-3 times since the night before. He just looked at me. I smiled. He didn't really smile back. I looked at his tires again, and said "I wish you luck getting out!". He looked at his tires, and then just started to laugh. Poor guy.

When I got home with groceries, I noticed my neighbour Trevor had already shoveled our joint driveway and the sidewalk. So nice. I thanked him for doing this - as I was thinking about doing this chore all the way home. I put away my things and then started to tackle a task that will save me a lot of time tomorrow morning - shovelling out an exit for my car - which is completely unable to perform in the snow. Once I finished clearing off my car...cause what's the point of shovelling around my car if I'm just going to dump another foot of snow on top of my clearing...Trevor came out to lend a hand and help me shovel a path for my car.

It was so nice.

Winter does good thing to people helping others - and for this - I'm grateful for the season.

That, and it's going to be an amazing year for snowboarding!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home